Monday, May 24, 2010

Holiday Weekend Efforts

Just returned from a glorious (albeit brief) holiday weekend from up north. I was able to get the cedar canvas canoe into the water again for some sweet evening paddling. Also got some time to tinker with a new crooked knife (pics coming in a post soon)

While in the area, I made arrangements to meet with the local chapter head of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association and drop off a donation for their annual fund-raising auction. I decided to donate my Laminated Kestrel Paddle. It was a simple design with an ottertail blade and flat, Passamaquoddy style handle.


The Kestrel paddle

I had received some compliments on the woodburning decoration, but never really used this paddle much. Laminated paddles can be great to use, but lately I've been leaning towards single piece paddles more both for aesthetics and flex...so figured this one might get sent to a good home and raise some funds for a nice association preserving the fine art of wooden canoes.

The auction will take place at their annual assembly, this year held in New Hampshire. I had a fun time at their 2008 Peterborough Assembly and posted lots of pics about the experience here.


2010 Assembly Info
Franklin Pierce University, Rindge, New Hampshire



No comments:

Post a Comment


Newer Posts Older Posts Home Page