Monday, June 27, 2016

Birchbark Canoe now on the wall

The 12 ft bark canoe I attempted to build back in '08-'09 has been repaired and regummed many times but is no longer water worthy. Over the years, vertical splits developed in the low quality bark I ended up using, but I still have fond memories making it and paddling around the lake. Anyway, thought it would be time to try and get it up on the cottage wall so that I can make space in the garage for another usable boat.

Happy times in the bark canoe


During a brief solo visit up north back in April, I managed to get through a tight entryway and into the unit. After that, some straps were set up into the wall studs and the canoe muscled up approximately 14 feet. 









Also ended up throwing in an old burning of the lake's name and the unused Diamond Passamaquoddy paddle. When my wife wanted to repaint the large accent wall a blue colour, I didn't think it would work, but now it looks like the canoe is at least floating on a wall of calm water.





2 comments:

kirk said...

Hi Murat...is there a link for your build of this canoe? I am a regular follower of yours but i never saw this build nor can i find a link. Cheers and keep up the awesome work.

Murat said...

Hi Kirk. The first post for this canoe build was back on July 12, 2008 - click here. If you want to read all 43 posts about this build, click on the Birchbark Canoe (Full Scale) link under the Labels category on the right margin. If you are viewing on a mobile device, the Label links may not be visible to you so here is a direct link. Also before doing this build, I attempted a 1/4 scale model. All those posts are under the Birchbark Canoe (Model) label. Hope the readings are of use to you!

Post a Comment


Newer Posts Older Posts Home Page